The Border Union Agricultural Society was founded at a public meeting in The Cross Keys Hotel Kelso on 22nd January 1813 under the Chairmanship of the 5th Duke of Roxburghe. Its principal aims were to encourage improvements in agricultural by;
‘the giving of premiums for the best stock of different kinds, for discoveries in agriculture, either in regard to tillage or the management of grasslands, and for new and improved implements of husbandry.’
Since these early days the Society has grown in size and strength and delivers four core annual events. The Schools Education and Countryside Day, the Border Union Championship Dog Show, the Border Union Show and the world renowned Kelso Ram Sales.
In 1953 the Society purchased the 46 acres of the Springwood Estate beside the Rivers Tweed and Teviot in Kelso, making this landscape its permanent home and where all these events are hosted.
The site is also the site of the Springwood Hall built in 2003 where events as diverse as the annual Borders Art Fair, fundraising balls and agricultural machinery demonstrations are held.
As a charity the Union represents its membership and remains true to its principals of education and improvements in agriculture, delivering bursaries to those who seek to advance their careers in the rural economy in the Scottish Borders and North Northumberland.